Best Books I read
- The Poisonwood Bible Barbara Kingslover
- Nectar in a Sieve Kamala Markandaya
- Daniel Deronda George Elliott
Most Significant Events
- becoming an aunt
- Joining the Peace Corps and moving to Botswana
- Kali’s wedding in New Hampshire
- presenting in a research conference in Chicago
- walking into church in Molepolole for the first time in Botswana
- When my sister-in-law announced her pregnancy the weekend before I left, on my Mother’s birthday. we were all there, gathered around the table. And then my mom opened her present of a baby’s book and she found out she would finally get her grandchild and things changed and then we sang karaoke until wee hours of the morning.
- singing a setswana spiritual during my swearing in ceremony and it later being aired on TV. modimo o refile
- my first night in my house in Nata. It wasn’t the best night, but it marked the beginning of a journey.
Best Songs (may not have been released in 2010 but that is when I discovered them)
- Let Your Love Grow TallI Passion Pit
- Home Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
- Middle Cyclone Neko Case
- Will You Return? Avett Brothers
- Take Me As I Am Au Revoir Simone
Obsessions of 2010
- Baking (pizza, bread, cookies, cakes)
- Writing Letters (missouri, utah, cape town, italy…)
- researching future trips in Africa (Drakensberg, Zululand, Sudan, botswana to cairo)
- Loose leaf herbal tea. My favorite is the 5th Chakra Blend from Mountain Rose Herb, but you cannot go wrong with a cup of pure chamomile.
- United States of America
- Zambia (sort of)
I almost finished a quilt in 2010, but then i didn’t. Maybe 2012.
I’m glad I have a journal that acts as a sort of record of my doings, otherwise I would have completely forgotten that I had a reality that wasn’t botswana. It’s funny how short sighted our perspectives become.